How do I abort a handler in OS X???

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Tue Jun 27 11:39:53 EDT 2006

On 27/6/06 16:27, J. Landman Gay wrote:
> Ben Rubinstein wrote:
>
>> I don't think there's any problem with cmd-period in OS-X; but there
>> is, and always has been, a problem that cmd-period doesn't work if
>> you've got a modal dialog in the way.
>
> Very true, but I think there's a problem with Command-period inside any
> repeat loop as well, regardless of whether it displays a modal or not.
>
> Try this:
>
> on test
>  put 0 into tNum
>  repeat
>   if the shiftkey is down then exit repeat
>   add 1 to tNum
>   put tNum
>  end repeat
> end test
>
> Issue "test" from the message box. Now try to Command-period out of it.
> If the shiftkey bypass wasn't in there, you'd have to force-quit.

Huh?  Ooer... 2.7 bug.   I tried your test in 2.6.1 (currently still my
"production" system) and in 2.5.1, because I happened to have it open as well
- cmmd-period interrupted fine in both cases.

Then I launched the 2.7.1 that I have for gingerly dipping my toe into - and I
see your point!  I'm just trying to update it to 2.7.2 (though it's a shame to
lose the 2.x.1 rhythm) - but I assume that a modern person such as yourself is
using that already.

So this is a bug introduced in some version of 2.7 - does this represent a
touching confidence by RunRev that their user-programmers are now so
sophisticated that they'll never make mistakes anymore, sort of like Steve
Jobs removing the reset switch on Macs?  Feels like another reason for me to
stick on 2.6.1, since I know just how not-sophisticated *I* am!

   Ben Rubinstein               |  Email: benr_mc at cogapp.com
   Cognitive Applications Ltd   |  Phone: +44 (0)1273-821600
   http://www.cogapp.com        |  Fax  : +44 (0)1273-728866