Revolution Media Presentation Viewable on Web?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Jun 27 00:25:47 EDT 2006

GregSmith wrote:

> So, for the Revolution author who wants to take advantage of all of the
> authoring prowess of Revolution, yet wants to also enjoy the added benefit
> of regular sales transactions  he or she might be best served by a
> compromise in the form of a standard browser plug-in, which fully displays
> all of the functionality of a Revolution stack

Check the list archives. :)  The short form is that the browser plugin
wars were won by Macromedia more than half a decade ago.  If you need
Flash it's not expensive and there are a great many templates,
courseware packages, etc.

The issue with making yet-another-browser-plugin is that while bean
counters like how it reads on paper, users and their IT staff quickly
learn that it's no different from a custom browser:  they still need to
download and install some engine to drive it all.

Only Flash is pre-installed -- a good route to go with if you need the
in-browser experience.

> . . . or, better yet, a translator which exports the fully
> functional Revolution stack into a format
> like Flash or QuickTime.

Or even Java, which may be a closer fit in a lot of ways, and there's a
lot of example code on generating byte code.

Yeah, I'd like this option for some things.  There may even be a feature
request filed in Bugzilla for this.  I wonder how many votes it's gotten.

In the meantime, for Web deployment it's hard to beat Flash, just as for
desktop applications it's hard to beat Rev.  I suppose it'd be ideal to
have one tool that does everything optimally, but since both tools are
pretty cheap and (at least in my work) it's rare that I'd want to make
the same thing for web deployment and as a desktop app, maybe two tools
isn't a deal breaker for either.....

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal