U3 apps and rev

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Mon Jun 26 19:56:02 EDT 2006

For what it's worth, I gave a talk at RevCon on deploying Portable
Apps (not U3 ones).

Turns out Rev's perfect for this for a number of reasons. I primarily
think of the U3 initiative as a marketing opportunity for all of us
wanting to get some great (and free) exposure. I certainly plan to
make ButtonGadget availble as a 'U3' app.

The singles biggest 'feature failure' I perceive in U3, is the
inablility to add any but 'U3 approved' apps to the U3 Launcher. I
don't understand the reasoning behind this. It's like Microsoft only
allowing Office apps to be placed in the Start bar...I mean, if I pay
for the thumbDrive, why can't I put any app in the launcher?  To me
this is just Silly. Obviously not thought out from a user-centric
viewpoint.

-Chipp