PDFs displayed in Player!

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Fri Jun 23 16:38:51 EDT 2006

We have done a lot of work and research into this area. Like Dan
says: we love and  use PDF's (Hinduism Today Digital Edition is build
on launch PDF into Acrobat reader)

Unfortunately, relying on PDF as a core for delivery is fraught with
issues. e.g. if you think that Great Adobe, has provided flawless
functionality in the much touted interactive media delivery system
from inside PDF's you will be sadly disappointed, it fails as often
as it works on any number of machines both on the mac and windows
side. Error feedback is remarkably "lame" e.g. if the user is not
connected to the internet and so cannot view external media from a
web server, Adobe just throws a generic error, making you the
producer, look like you did something wrong... there's more, but I
will save it....

We use Dan Schafers little script to call cmd.exe on Windows to
launch PDF's into Acrobat reader, but I'm getting complaints that on
some windows systems, even this does not work. And debugging this
from a "distance." Is very difficult to say the least. And, the
Acrobat work group at Adobe is very much focused on the windows side
and mac implementation of PDF from within Acrobat reader itself is
very sluggish by comparison.

We are at the mercy of Titans in a  war where greed rules, and "let's
get together and make things compatible" is a blacklisted policy.
It's amazing to me that Rev does as well as it does do with this
cross platform business. if you are really serious about this you
need to spend some big bucks and implement the Apple SDK suite for
PDF on the Mac (very rich options) and 3rd party SDK's for PDF on
Windows. (There's a great company in California build on source code
from Asia where this is big stuff)  you won't get in an out for under
$50,000.00 to get all the functionality you might want.

And, in a similar vein, after months of research on video delivery
and codecs and cross-platform delivery and talking to consultants...
we all came to the same conclusion: you really only have one option
Quicktime, and you have to live within those parameters. of course if
you have $$$$ you can try going the  Macromedia way with the Flash
codec, then that is a path fraught with boulders and you need really,
really deep pockets.

Scott Raney made the right move in adopting QT years ago. And
expecting QT to be Acrobat is just a wrong expectation... rather look
at it  like this: Apple is an innovative company that has no problem
engineering for compatibility, MS doesn't look at  life like that at
all, that's not Rev's problem.

Sivakatirswami