[OT (slightly) ] Re: Please confirm your message

James Spencer jspencer78 at mac.com
Tue Jun 20 21:30:25 EDT 2006

On Jun 20, 2006, at 4:00 PM, Alex Tweedly wrote:

> Every time I send a message to the use-rev list, I get an email
> such as the one below. It's from a list member who hasn't had the
> good grace to set up his spam filters to accept mail from the list
> that he (or she) joined. Seems to me it's kind of impolite to join
> a list and then expect every other contributor to take extra action
> to accommodate your spam filters.
>
> I haven't yet taken the action suggested, and in fact, I'm not ever
> going to take it, because it violates my idea of how things
> "should" work, so pretty soon, I'll get around to blacklisting
> "MAILER-DAEMON at his domain"  in my filters so I don't see these
> messages.
>
> Am I the only grumpy old man who doesn't like this ?
> Is it reasonable to ask the "guilty" party to fix their filters if
> they wish to remain on the list ?
>    (Yes, I do realize he or she is probably not seeing this
> message  :-)
>
> In fact, would it be reasonable to ask the list maintainer to
> *ensure* he fixes it ?

While I share others' grumpiness, we should all remember that the
member may not even have been aware that this was happening.  The
real blame for all this goes to the spammers who have forced us all
to extreme measures in efforts, some misguided, to keep our email
usable.  We will be seeing more and more of this as the deluge of
crap continues particularly as ISP's do more and more at the server
to try to protect their clients.

James P. Spencer
Rochester, MN

jspencer78 at mac.com

"Badges??  We don't need no stinkin badges!"