jjSQL handlers

Stephen Barncard stephenREVOLUTION at barncard.com
Tue Jun 20 15:16:21 EDT 2006

As far as I know, Filemaker does not have a text interface, command
line like MySQL. A good MySQL book, the command line and Rev,  one
can get any data in any format.

Just a note: MySQL is not free... there are licensing issues to
consider at all levels...

however, I notice that many ISPs use shared instances of MySQL as
part of their hosting package and it works quite well. Dreamhost, for
example, offers unlimited MySQL 5.x databases, and it's dead-dog
simple to administrate. Unlimited domains and unlimited users,
too...so it would not be too much to ask clients to get their own
hosting account - they could even do it over a VPN. Much cheaper than
buying a dedicated server on site. Or developers could resell the
hosting as part of a maintenance package.

a caveat: hosting MySQL at Dreamhost carries with it a requirement
that the IP of each user be registered at the host for security
reasons, but it's instant and easy to do from the web panel.

If one were going to locate a SQL-like server in house and needed
really fast response and more reasonable licensing terms, perhaps one
should check out the latest versions of Valentina Server.   The
syntax is a bit different, however Trevor's dbLib library abstracts
much of that so one can switch among SQL flavors quite well.

--
stephen barncard
s a n  f r a n c i s c o