System Requirements

Mark Schonewille m.schonewille at economy-x-talk.com
Thu Jun 15 05:30:28 EDT 2006

Hi,

The requirements on the runrev homepage are really old. Most
platforms in that list are currently unsupported.

The standalone builder sets the SIZE resource of standalones for Mac
OS 9 to 15MB by default, not 4 as suggested by the web site. Since
Revolution loads stacks into memory in their entirety, you should be
pretty safe if you take the file size of all stacks plus 4MB, taking
15MB as a minimum. If you need to claim that the application runs
with less memory, you need to run tests. If the standalone has to
process large data files or import multimedia files, you should add
the size of these files as well or include a notice saying that
memory usage depends on files being read by the standalone.

As to speed, I usually recommend the equivalent of a 400Mhz G3
processor (something like an 800Mhz Pentium III?). For QuickTime
effects to run smoothly, you need at least an 800Mhz processor and
even then you might run into trouble. To use image core effects, you
need a G4 or G5 with altivec.

Until recently, it was relevent to mention that the machine running a
standalone application needs to have at least 32MB physical built-in
memory. Otherwise the application will crash. I think this it no
longer necessary to include this in the list of system requirements,
since most computers have much more memory nowadays.

You might want to add a required colour depth of thousands of
colours, because Revolution cannot render pictures properly at a
depth of 256 colours or less.

The disk space requirement of 3MB, as mentioned on the site, is
partially incorrect, because the universal binaries need at least
4MB. Naturally, these are minimum sizes and the actual number is
different for each project. Note that the default externals can take
up to 2.5MB.

Don't forget to add that an internet connect is required, if you are
using the internet for updating or to retrieve information. (In my
opinion, the runrev website should mention that an internet
connection is required for RevOnline and for downloading updates).

If the project needs QuickTime to play sounds and movies, you should
provide a link to Apple's QuickTime website. Same with special
encodings (e.g. divx). You also might want to list required fonts and
in some cases whether a cd or dvd drive is required.

Let me know, if I forgot anything.

Best regards,

Mark

--

Economy-x-Talk
Consultancy and Software Engineering

Download ErrorLib at http://economy-x-talk.com/developers.html and
get full control of error handling in Revolution.

Op 15-jun-2006, om 5:21 heeft J. Landman Gay het volgende geschreven: