open a palette window over a modal window under OS 9

Chris Sheffield cmsheffield at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 16:37:12 EDT 2006

Thanks, Robert. This seems to be the best bet. While I'm not thrilled
about having to dismiss my help stack before doing anything else,
this solution will probably be the quickest for now since I've got a
deadline. If I had more time, I'd make the modal stack not modal, and
then hide the other stack that I don't want the user to interact
with. But this late in the game I'd rather not mess with it. That can
be done in a future update.

Thanks to the rest who replied as well.

Chris

On Jun 12, 2006, at 12:54 PM, Robert Brenstein wrote:

>> Mark Schonewille wrote:
>>> Hi Chris,
>>>
>>> This is not bug. In fact, I am very happy that this works
>>> properly in Mac OS 9. There is no workaround that is practible
>>> and complies with Apple's GUI rules. In every operating system,
>>> an application should halt while a modal dialog is open, until
>>> the dialog closes.
>>>
>>> I suggest you just accept that the Help window is not available,
>>> as Mac OS 9 users would be surprised if they could access the
>>> Help window while a modal dialog is open. They would consider it
>>> a bug in your software.
>>
>> Ok, sounds logical to me, but, is it possible for Chris to change
>> the mode of the modal stack to non-modal and change the palette
>> stack to modal until the palette stack is dismissed and then set
>> that stack back to modal after the palette is dismissed?
>>
>> -Garrett
>
> Yes, Chris can try shuffling modes. However, I once needed to
> display some help info from a modal stack and if I recall
> correctly, I simply displayed another modal stack, which showed on
> top of the other modal stack. Closing it, returned control properly
> to the other modal. This was several releases of Rev ago, but
> should still work the same.

Chris Sheffield
Read Naturally
The Fluency Company