A new definition of libraries (was: Linux Installation)

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Sun Jun 11 19:50:35 EDT 2006

Andre:

First of all, I think your English is excellent, and if after nearly 33
years in Brazil my written Portuguese was as good as your English, I
would be a happy man.

Thank you very much for your very lucid explanation. Part of what you
said is exactly what I confirmed with Ken Ray days ago, and I have been
simply seeking to re-affirm this - and only this - ever since. You said:

(Andre Garcia wrote:)

If its building software for linux with runrev then trust one thing, if
the IDE runs, the standalones will run too. Rev will probably run on all
major linux distros provided they are new ones (meaning no ancient
kernel running for 5 years...).

-------------------
On top of that, you have given me the kind of qualification I was
looking for:

(Andre Garcia wrote:)

But don't expect it to run everywhere, not even linux users expect it.
No one is expecting that Rev apps run on DSL or Knoppix (although they
might).

-------------------
I'll certainly try the exceptional distros you mention. Incidentally, I
think Rev standalones will probably run OK on Knoppix too, since they
run perfectly on Kurumin which is a direct derivative of it.

In this thread and the one it arose from, I have not been the slightest
bit concerned about discussing the distribution of apps generally in
Linux. I have only tried to discuss the distribution of Rev apps. It has
now been confirmed again that they do NOT need "installing" in any
normal sense of the word and that "standalone" means what it says.

You can rest assured that you have answered my question perfectly, that
you have helped enormously, and that I can now sleep at night knowing
that I am not bonkers after all. Thank you very much indeed.

Best regards,
Bob