A new definition of libraries (was: Linux Installation)

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Sun Jun 11 11:26:02 EDT 2006

Bob,

english is not my native language and sometimes I do fail to express
myself in a way that others understand but even more often I do miss
what the other guy is trying to express.

I really am not grasping what you're trying to do but I'll try to
explain a couple things about your last email. I am not using Rev for
Linux, I ditched linux from my everyday life when I switched to the
macintosh years ago. Let us begin by talking about linux package
systems. As everyone and his techie dog knows, distributing linux
software might prove a very complex experience due to the library
dependency nightmare, that, I talked a little on my previous email.
Also some FOSS Linux users won't trust or install any binary package,
they will only trust/like software that is Free in all senses of the
word and that they are able to see the source and build by
themselves, thats cultural. TGZ is a gZiped tarball, which in plain
english is a folder that was put inside a tape archive file and then
zipped, this is the popular way for packing things for linux, very
vanilla. Some eons ago when Red Hat was starting they created the RPM
which stands for Red Hat Package Manager which is more than a simple
compressed stuff for it knows where to unpack the files and to check
for dependencies. RPM proved very successful and many distros now use
it. So when you have a linux distribution that uses RPM as its main
package system, you can trust that by installing a RPM file will give
you all the files in the correct place and a software that will run.
If you pick a TGZ (more usually a .tar.gz) file, then you might need
to do some file moving yourself. RunRev distributes a binary package,
by binary I am saying that the software comes as an closed binary
executable and not as source code (of course they won't give the
source for the engine) thats why you had such nice experience, the
software is already built and your Unbuntu which is a very high level
distro has the right libraries in the right place™.

Now please Bob, I don't know if I am really helping you go somewhere
but can you please tell me what you're trying to do? If its building
software for linux with runrev then trust one thing, if the IDE runs,
the standalones will run too. Rev will probably run on all major
linux distros provided they are new ones (meaning no ancient kernel
running for 5 years...). But don't expect it to run everywhere, not
even linux users expect it. No one is expecting that Rev apps run on
DSL or Knoppix (although they might).

If your standalone doesn't run on a given linux, its not your fault.
You're not responsible for that and you can do very little. Debugging
why the app is not running is a very complex job and to get it
running at all costs (replacing libraries, creating new symlinks) is
a job for someone that really knows what he is doing, the normal end
user will not go that way. What you can do that would really boost
your linux offerings is:

	* Study linux packaging: create packages for your software for all
major packaging systems like RPM, Debian and the others.
	* Create diagnostic bash scripts: this is a hard one and maybe the
community should gather on a collective effort on this one. A script
that would use ldd to find which libraries the standalone is linking
and to check the presence of each one and write a logfile. In cases
of software not running, this script might shed a clue.
	* Join forces in one-click software efforts for linux such as
linspire click-and-run. There are people making money thru this
channels, you might like it.

Thats all I can think of, but I still don't understand what is really
the problem. :-)

Andre