A new definition of libraries (was: Linux Installation)

Dan Shafer revolutionary.dan at gmail.com
Sat Jun 10 16:55:03 EDT 2006

Let me be clear up front that I am far from a Linux expert. I *am* a KDE
user. And the last post here brought me to a point of remembering what a
colleague of mine who IS a serious Linux guy told me a couple of weeks ago
in another context. Direct quotation:

"Linux is the only OS for which there are many windowing environments. If
Windows had multiple UIs, you'd have the same problem there. You don't. So
it's not really proper to discuss 'Linux compatibility.' The issue is KDE
compatibility or Gnome compatibility. Within those constraints, an
application can be said to run on a particular windowing environment or on
multiple windowing environments. But anyone who tells you they have an app
that runs on every version of Linux has a very simplistic app or a very
simplistic understanding of what constitutes Linux."

That makes sense to me. Maybe it doesn't help clarify this discussion, but
it makes sense to me.