A new definition of libraries (was: Linux Installation)

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Jun 10 15:30:58 EDT 2006

Bob Warren wrote:

> What I am trying to ask is this:
>
> I produce a "Hello world" standalone application in Rev Linux. Will it
> run without problems on every known Linux?

"Linux"?  Probably, but that means no GUI.

If by "every" you mean every window manager that sits on top of Linux,
that's a maybe for Rev just as it is for RB and many others.

The problem here is the casual disregard for consistency among the many
unrelated window managers.  When all but one of them either go away or
become relegated to specialized uses, not only with GUI app makers have
a much better time writing for it, but the Linux desktop market will at
last grow to the levels the kernel deserves.

Until then, the mine's-more-precious-than-yours approach to making the
unnecessary plethora of window managers that sit on top of Linux is
hurting developers' productivity as much as it's hurting their own
evangelism of Linux.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal