A new definition of libraries (was: Linux Installation)

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Sat Jun 10 14:22:43 EDT 2006

Mark Smith wrote:

Bob, I think you may be getting hung up on the face-value meaning of
the word 'standalone'
-------------------------------------
Thanks Mark. You might well be right. And indeed I might be making a
fundamental mistake somewhere. However, according to my definition, a
Rev "standalone" might belong in Category 2 (with "constant" libraries),
or it might fall into category 3 (i.e. a "non-standalone" using
"variable" libraries) according to your definition. Is my idea of Rev
standalones different to what you have said? Well, yes, if we also count
"external" libraries such as the one you mentioned (e.g. Quicktime which
is NOT part of the OS). I wasn't discussing libraries that were not part
of the OS. The question that still remains for me (ignoring "external"
libraries) is whether Rev standalones ever really fall into Category 3.

The problem in all of this is that if I adopt what might well represent
a "safe" policy in terms of distribution and I presume that all Rev apps
should safely be put into Category 3 (non-standalones), then I am
condemned to not only having to establish which libraries my application
needs in every Linux distro, but also providing an "installation" or
"setup" to take care of this. At the moment, this seems to be impossible
in Linux (at least in practical terms). And in the last analysis, it
might not (always or ever?) be strictly necessary.

Mark Smith wrote:

Which category a Rev standalone belongs in is a question of what it's
been designed to do.
------------------------------------
I think I might have answered that above, Mark. Let's stick to original
OS libraries and forget libraries which are introduced through some
other subsequent installation process by non-OS software. Also, to avoid
further confusion, I suggest we stick to Linux.

Mark Smith wrote:

There have also been many discussions on this list about the fact
that many ISP/Hosting services fail to run Rev CGIs because they
haven't installed a particular library.
------------------------------------
Ken Ray mentioned something similar at the beginning of the "Linux
Installation" thread. Naturally, my discussion is not about such
exceptional cases.

Although general advice is helpful, it does not solve my problem. I have
produced a Rev app which (for the sake of argument) does not write/read
its own files to/from the HD and does not require stuff like Quicktime.
It runs perfectly on my Ubuntu. How do I know whether it will run on the
other 199 Linux distros in a similar fashion? Install all the known
Linuxes and try it out?

At this point, I have the intuitive feeling that Mr Ken Ray (who has
been very quiet for quite a long time now on this particular issue) will
zoom in and tell us all what's what - "QED" fashion. We'll see whether
or not my intuitions betray me.

Regards,
Bob