Answer Folder in Rev Linux (was Re: Linux installaton)

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Jun 8 11:39:47 EDT 2006

Bob Warren wrote:

> Jacqueline Landman Gay wrote:
>  >
> How about just asking the user to select the path via "answer folder"?
> Then store it for future reference.
>
> -------------------------

> Please do visit
>
> http://www.howsoft.com/runrev/stacks.htm

Okay, I did.

> You will see that the widgets are themselves substitutes for the "answer
> file" dialogue. The picture chooser, however, gives a preview of the
> pictures available when you click on their file names. This does not
> exist in Linux and therefore is uncallable by Rev. I therefore made one
> in the form of a Rev standalone. The file chooser is entirely
> unnecessary in functional terms, since we have the "answer file"
> dialogue, but I made it in order to match exactly the style of the
> picture chooser. Incidentally, the style of both choosers is in the form
> of an HD treeview as in Windows. The Linux "answer file" does not make
> use of a treeview for the folders (at least in my Ubuntu).
>
> So the 2 crucial points to be made are as follows:
>
> 1) It wouldn't make much sense to ask the user for his help using an
> answer folder/file in order to be able to present him immediately with
> another "answer file" in a different style.

No, but your widget already knows the file path, and therefore already
knows the enclosing folder. The user has chosen it; all you need to do
is store that information.

You mention you've made your widget into a standalone. You have two options.

1. Remove the standalone capability and provide your widget as a stack
so that it can be embedded  as a substack into a mainstack. This will
allow it to easily pass folder and file paths to the other scripts via
variables or a function call.

2. If it needs to remain a standalone then have it write the relevant
path information to a temporary file where a mainstack can read it and
then delete the temp file.

> 2) In my Ubuntu Linux (and possibly in other Linuxes as well), the
> answer folder/file only allows the user to choose from the local file
> system. There is no sign of network paths in these dialogues.

This behavior is the same on Mac and Windows too. Only mounted drives
are recognized in any "ask" or "answer" dialog. This behavior appears to
be standard on all applications in both the "other" operating systems.
Unmounted drives don't "exist" to the OS.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com