Answer Folder in Rev Linux (was Re: Linux installaton)

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Thu Jun 8 01:17:48 EDT 2006

Bob Warren wrote:

If you want to use CD-Rom or Floppy Diskette drives in your program,
they have to be "mounted" and you need to discover where in the file
system this can be done***. And what would I do in #2 of my file/picture
chooser widgets if I wanted to access local network drives?

Jacqueline Landman Gay wrote:

How about just asking the user to select the path via "answer folder"?
Then store it for future reference.

-------------------------
I was just going to bed, but I noticed that the picture on my wall was
not hanging straight, and now I can't sleep any more (again).

Please do visit

http://www.howsoft.com/runrev/stacks.htm

where you will see pictures of the file/picture chooser widgets for
Linux I mentioned.

You will see that the widgets are themselves substitutes for the "answer
file" dialogue. The picture chooser, however, gives a preview of the
pictures available when you click on their file names. This does not
exist in Linux and therefore is uncallable by Rev. I therefore made one
in the form of a Rev standalone. The file chooser is entirely
unnecessary in functional terms, since we have the "answer file"
dialogue, but I made it in order to match exactly the style of the
picture chooser. Incidentally, the style of both choosers is in the form
of an HD treeview as in Windows. The Linux "answer file" does not make
use of a treeview for the folders (at least in my Ubuntu).

So the 2 crucial points to be made are as follows:

1) It wouldn't make much sense to ask the user for his help using an
answer folder/file in order to be able to present him immediately with
another "answer file" in a different style.

2) In my Ubuntu Linux (and possibly in other Linuxes as well), the
answer folder/file only allows the user to choose from the local file
system. There is no sign of network paths in these dialogues.

By the way, although treeviews for general use have been provided by
several Rev users, as far as I know nobody has produced one for the HD.
This is far from being a "trivial" task (even in Rev) as one user once
implied, and I'll tell you why. If you could quickly make a map of all
the folders and subfolders on the HD first, and then use it while the
user was navigating the folder treeview, then it would be easy. But you
cannot do that because it takes far too long. The only way you can do it
is to initially present the user with root or near-root folders, and to
expand the rest dynamically when he clicks on one of the folders in the
tree. The reason I am mentioning this is that if anyone is in need of a
treeview of the local file system, my widgets can be easily adapted. I
have made the stacks available (at the page mentioned above) not only so
that they can be adapted to other flavours of Linux, but so that they
can also be adapted as pure HD treeviews for whatever purpose.

The reason that the widgets have been produced for Ubuntu only and not
for all Linuxes is simply that specialFolderPath in Rev does not provide
essential filesystem information (different to Mac and Windows). The
widgets run on other Linuxes, but they cannot detect whether or not
CD-Rom or Floppy Diskette readers exist in the hardware. This is
explained better on the webpage itself. Also, when Rev standalones
close, they clear the clipboard! Another little problem. On the said
webpage I give the impression that perhaps it is the fault of (Ubuntu)
Linux. Not true. It's another Rev bug.

[***Sorry, I didn't say it right. You can mount drives almost anywhere
on your HD (e.g. in /mnt). The problem is in finding the fstab file to
tell you whether or not the hardware exists, as I mentioned above.]

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

Regards,
Bob