Very newbie question

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Jun 7 16:49:45 EDT 2006

Kevin Brooks wrote:
> I am a very new user of revolution, though not at all new to this
> programming paradigm, as I did a lot of HyperCard programming in the 90's.
>
> My very newbie question is that I can not find a true Transcript reference
> guide that lists all properties for each object.  I have found references to
> the  "Transcript Language Dictionary" in the documentation, but have not
> found something specifically named such?  What am I missing?  Having example
> code is great, but I would love to go to a player object section and see
> everything I can do with a player, for instance.

First off, welcome, and don't apologize for being new to the game. We
were all new at some point, and I think you will find that with your HC
experience it won't take you long to feel old. (Wait...that didn't come
out right.)

References to the "Transcript Reference Guide" are left over from some
older versions of Rev, but it just means the Dictionary tab in the
documentation, which you can open by clicking the Documentation icon in
the toolbar. The default display is to have the list of terms in the top
pane and the content in the bottom pane. If you have changed this to a
vertical display, change it back to the default by clicking the little
line icon at the lower left of the terms list.

Once you've got the horizontal display, right-click (or control-click)
anywhere on the headings at the top of the list ("Keywords, Platform,
Syntax" etc.) You'll get a contextual menu. Choose the object you want
to know more about; for example, "player".

A new heading and column will appear for your chosen object. All
keywords that relate to that object will be checkmarked in its column.
You can see them more easily by clicking on the column header so that
they are all sorted together.

Then just read everything. :)

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com