Linux installation

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Wed Jun 7 14:20:09 EDT 2006

Jacqueline Landman Gay:

I don't think you understand how truly intertwined all applications are
with the OS they run on. It is okay that they do that. The only other
alternative would be for you to have to write all your own routines to
do all the above and more -- which apparently lots of Linux people have
decided to do, giving you the headaches you started out with at the
beginning of this thread.
Thanks very much for your truly marvellous explanation Jacque. I accept
it. And just to prove the thesis in practice, would someone using a very
different Linux distro to mine (Ubuntu, Debian, Gnome), say Red Hat or
something, be kind enough to download my file/picture chooser widget
standalones from:-

http://www.howsoft.com/runrev/stacks.htm

- in the hope that they do not work. If they do work by any chance, it
is likely that icons for the CD-Rom and Floppy Diskette drives will not
appear at the top, but apart from that everything should be normal.
Please do not fail to let me know when these (Linux!) standalones fail
to run successfully under any distro.

Thanks again, Jacque!

Regards,
Bob