Linux installation

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Mon Jun 5 15:18:19 EDT 2006

Mark Wieder wrote:

This issue that Bob ran into here is that you can't build a standalone
that relies on gnome GUI libraries and expect it to run in a kde
environment where those libraries don't exist. If I build a kde
standalone that used some specific features of my desktop environment
I'd expect that it wouldn't run on Bob's gnome desktop either.

------------------------------
Mark:

You may be right, and in fact what you recommend may represent a "safe"
policy, but that is not exactly what I ran into. I produced a Realbasic
module that I thought was a "standalone", but later discovered that it
was an "executable" (i.e. not a "standalone"). In fact, this RB GUI
program ran OK on some KDE versions of Linux, but (surprisingly) not on
Kubuntu.

Within my limited experience of Rev/Linux, I have never had any trouble
running/exchanging Rev standalone programs between Gnome and KDE, so far...

Has anyone ever had the experience of creating a Rev standalone in
Linux, subsequently finding that it does not run successfully on another
flavour of Linux, regardless of whether it is Gnome or KDE?

What I am going to do later on today is to take an Ubuntu Gnome Rev
standalone I have created, load up the latest Kubuntu live CD, and see
whether it runs. I'll let you know what happens.

Another experiment I could do later is to make sure I include libraries
in my Gnome Rev standalone that I know do not exist in KDE, and see
whether that runs.