Linux installation

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Jun 2 15:31:32 EDT 2006

Bob Warren wrote:
> And further to what I have just said further, note how this brings us
> back to the whole question of real "installion" in Linux, the very
> subject of this thread, which of course should take the
> existence/upgrade of library routines into account. But as I said at the
> beginning of the thread, perhaps that is a future dream, unless Richard
> managed to find a piece of satisfactory 3rd party software for the
> purpose. Somehow, I doubt it.

Nope, I haven't.

Thus far what I've seen is that every window manager thinks their work
is the Ultimate Solution, without regard for compatibility with any other.

I'd like to be more supportive, but my experience thus far is that the
biggest thing holding Linux back from broad desktop adoption is the
Linux developer community.

If we get to a stage where they begin to regard their work as less
precious than the user experience, perhaps they'll prioritize
standardization higher than it's been thus far.

But until then, the issue with Linux is that there is no "there" there,
in the sense that Linux isn't a particular thing, but a collection of
things, and many of those things just don't play nice together.

Technologically I believe Linux is well poised to blow Micro$oft out of
the water.  Once the project leaders for the various window managers get
around to handling the work of compatibility for the basics, I suspect
we'll see a renaissance of Linux development.

Alternatively, it might be ideal for consumers if one window manager
began to reach the tipping point, the critical mass which makes it the
single clear choice, relegating all others to minor, specialized roles.
  At that point the complete Linux experience would become a single
thing,  something consumers can more readily wrap their collective head
around.

Until then, the whole thing is much harder than it needs to be....

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal