Linux installation

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Thu Jun 1 14:56:34 EDT 2006

Rishi Viner wrote:

On Gentoo (with KDE), I get:

/home/rishi/Desktop/
/home/rishi/
/usr/
/tmp/
/home/rishi/
failed

in my sys_info.txt
Under KDE it looks like you have trouble with FontsFolder,
StartupItemsFolder,
TrashFolder.

I'm fairly sure the normal fonts location is: /usr/share/fonts/

My startup items folder is at: /home/rishi/.kde/Autostart/

My trash is at /home/rishi/Desktop/trash.desktop which is a shortcut
with URL=trash:/
Thanks Rishi!

Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do about the success of these
functions, since they come from RealBasic. But at least it seems that RB
knows the difference between what it knows and what it doesn't know. The
first 5 paths are correct, and in the case of the last 3, the paths
couldn't be deduced although they might exist.

Another thing to be remembered is that this standard set of functions is
used on all platforms, including Windows, so for example, I would
imagine that "StartupItemsFolder" is more applicable to Windows than to
Linux. Before my RB trial for Windows ran out (today, in fact), I ran
the module for Windows and it gave me all 8 paths correctly.

With the hundreds of Linux distros out there, all with slightly
different characteristics, I would be surprised if anyone could do much
better than this in deducing the not-quite-so-fundamental paths such as
e.g. the trash.

Rishi Viner wrote:

might get more info on this as freedesktop.org?
Great! Thanks again Rishi, I'll check it out.

Best regards,
Bob