What does Rev hook into when it plays MP3 files on Windows?

Ben Rubinstein benr at cogapp.com
Thu Jun 1 11:01:31 EDT 2006

I'm trying to get Rev to play MP3 files on Windows XP Embedded.

I'm carrying the stack, the MP3 file, and StackRunner around on a USB drive,
so the problem isn't there.  I can plug the USB drive into any of several
Windows XP machines, launch StackRunner, press the button, hear the sound.  On
the Windows XP machine, depending on the method I use, I either get my ears
trashed by static (if I simply "play" the file), or have an error 'starting
video' (if I set the filename of a player object").

As I mention, I have the whole setup on a USB drive, that I can take to
different machines, so I'm confident the question is not about the script, the
path to the MP3 file, etc.  The issue appears to be Rev's inability to hook
into resources it needs from the OS.

Windows XP Embedded is not a unitary system, but is built to order from (I'm
told) about 11,000 components.  I previously had a version which didn't have
Windows Media Player.  I downloaded and retro-fitted this, and WMP could then
play MP3 files, but Rev still not.  I was told that this was because simply
installing the consumer WMP didn't install all the hooks that an app would
need; so had the OS rebuilt, this time with WMP etc buuilt in from the start.
  I just got this back today, and it's not helped.

The supplier is going to have another go at rebuilding the OS, but obviously
if he knew what Rev needs it would be a big help.  He's suggested that it
might not even be specifically a Windows Media issue, but that there might be
components he needs to include just to allow an app written in C to access
system components at all.

Can anyone shed any light on:

- the components Rev needs from Windows to play MP3 (etc) files?

- whether there is any kind of log or console where Rev might actually be
reporting problems it has?

Thanks in advance,

- Ben