number of columns in a table field

Bill Marriott wjm at wjm.org
Thu Jun 1 01:07:49 EDT 2006

Can you imagine the outcry if Excel supported only 2000 rows? But the "real"
limit is even lower when you consider the performance realities. Consider if
you have a grid, 1000 rows of 20 columns, and you want to delete row 2 then
you must somehow update 19,980 objects.

You could say, "Well, don't structure it that way. Use only the fields
necessary for on-screen display." Unfortunately, once you are in the
business of going into fields and setting them, Rev bogs down as well.

What I arrived at was using a single field for each column, but it still is
not as fast as deleting a line from a single field.

Richard Gaskin wrote
> It's worth noting that 32,806 is almost 38 feet at 72dpi, which is plenty
> for most uses so I can't really call this a bug.

and "640K should be enough for anyone" :D