Play command gone quiet

AJ4 aj445 at traverse.lib.mi.us
Fri Jul 28 14:03:27 EDT 2006

> Subject: Play command gone quiet
> This may be a tad off topic, but it concerns Rev. I am converting a
> stack to Revolution that has hundreds of "play" commands in it. Since
> there are so many, I decided to just use them as-is rather than change
> everything to use players. This has been working fine for some weeks.
>
> Yesterday I used Audacity for OS X to convert some sounds. It turned
> off
> my system sounds globally and nothing I could do in the System Prefs
> would turn it back on. The "beep" command did nothing, Thunderbird no
> longer beeped when mail arrived, etc. Rebooting the Mac restored it.
>
> Ever since then, Rev can't play sounds any more with the "play"
> command.
> This has persisted through several machine reboots. It can play them
> inside a player but not with the play command. This is a global problem
> too, since MetaCard and other older versions of Rev can no longer use
> the play command now either.
>
> Does anyone know how to get this capability back? Any idea what got
> hosed? Needless to say, Audacity probably isn't in my future any more.

Hey Jacque,
Looks like other people are having the same problem with a variety of
software, on different systems.

For example, "audacity system sound fix" search delivers this among
others:
  http://audacityteam.org/forum/thread/1235
http://audacityteam.org/forum/thread/2084

Audacity seems to think it's not their problem.  No fix that I've seen.
  So beware.

Sandy