VB COM in Revolution?

corvideon seamus at corvideon.ie
Thu Jul 27 05:14:26 EDT 2006

Hi Sarah

You may find the following article useful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_Object_Model

COM is a way of creating an 'in-process' object of some other application.
For instance in VB you can create a word application object in your code and
then manipulate word documents using the methods of that word object as if
it were part of your program. The difference with RunRev is that you have to
rely on a VB/Vbscript program to create the COM objects. You pass parameters
(through shelling out) to the VB/Vbscript program  and it can then pass
these onto the COM object. This runs in a seperate process to your RunREv
app (I think)

AFAIK RunRev does not technically support COM, but can use an external
process to manage COM objects on it's behalf  - which is nearly as good.
Look up 'DLL hell' in Google to see the fun you are avoiding...

That is the case as far as I know. If anybody can correct me, I would be
happy to learn more.

Regards

Seamus Brady

http://www.corvideon.ie