Sending email via Rev

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Tue Jul 25 16:24:02 EDT 2006

Richard Miller wrote:

> I am testing Shao Shen's libsmtp function and having difficulty
> getting a test message to go through.
>
> The smtpOpen command seems to work fine. When I use the smtpSend
> command and then the smtpGetTranscript command, I receive back a
> message that says:
>
>              "message rejected"
>
> I suspect the problem is with the way I am creating the message,
> which looks like this:
>
> ------------------------------------------- (the message doesn't
> include these dashes)
> To: wow at together.net
> Subject: rev email test
>
> This is a test of sending email via Rev
>
> I also see a line coming back that says:
>
>            354 Start mail input; end with <CRLF>, <CRLF>
>
> Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

SMTP expects the message to have headers, then a blank line (indicates
end of headers), then the body message - and recognizes the end of the
message by receiving (I thought)
<CRLF> . <CRLF>
(i.e. a line beginning with a period, and otherwise blank). Not sure why
the text you quoted above has a comma in there - so I'd try it with the
comma, with the period and and with neither  to see which works.

(this is from vague memory, and after a quick look I can't find any
documentation to support what I thought I remembered - so give it a
shot, but don't be too surprised if it's wrong :- )