Imagedata row order

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Tue Jul 25 14:32:01 EDT 2006

On Jul 25, 2006, at 10:32 AM, Jeanne A. E. DeVoto wrote:

> At 8:03 AM -0700 7/25/2006, Rob Cozens wrote:
>> * Rev. Dictionary:  "Revolution supports GIF, JPEG, PNG, PICT,
>> BMP, PBM/PGM/PPM, and XBM/XPM/XWD formats, as well as its own
>> internal format".  My presumption is (untested)  the "internal
>> format", designated as "rle" in the image's paintCompression
>> property, is the format used for imageData  [4 bytes per pixel:
>> null, red, green, blue].
>
> No. It's run-length-encoded. Just as well, since the text property
> is what's stored on disk, and a 32-bit image with no compression
> whatever would take up a ton of room. Take a look at the length of
> the text versus the length of the imageData of a typical image object.

Wow, where is this in the dictionary?

I have tried setting the text of an image to some PBM/PGM/PPM formats
(P6 and P3 mostly, I think), but got no response to the image or
size.  When I tried to subsequently export, I got an error.

Maybe something was wrong with my data.

I suppose if I could set one of these, I could still compress it by
exporting as something else and then setting it again.

Has anybody tried some of the simpler formats?

Dar Scott