"There Was a Problem Saving the Standalone Application"

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sat Jul 22 15:10:08 EDT 2006

Dan Shafer wrote:
> Chipp......
>
> Thanks. I can't find that in the docs. Needless to say, it'll be
> prominently
> mentioned in a certain forthcoming ebook.
>
> Sheesh. That's just stupidly unnecessary. File extensions are so last
> century.

To be fair, the reason isn't because we are supposed to use file
extensions. It's because of naming conflicts. When the standalone
builder does its thing, it makes a copy of the mainstack and names it
the same name as the original, removing any existing extension first. If
the original has no extension to begin with, the stack and the
standalone will have the same name. The OS won't let you do that, so the
build fails. Adding an extension -- anything, doesn't have to be ".rev"
-- allows the original stack to retain a different name than the new
standalone.

This is only an issue on Macs, really. Windows files almost always have
extensions already.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com