[OT] xTalk Legal Status

Mark Schonewille m.schonewille at economy-x-talk.com
Sat Jul 22 09:06:01 EDT 2006

Hi Bill,

SuperCard, Revolution, HyperTalk and a few other lesser known xTalk
environments are all copyright protected. There are a few languages
in the works, some of which already died, which are open-source.

AFAIK Revolution nor SuperCard pays a royalty to Apple, there is no
need for that. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if someone appears to
have paid for the right to use part of the HyperCard source code.
Just speculation.

Anyone can make a compiler/interpreter that speaks an xTalk variant,
as long as you don't reverse engineer. A legal approach would be to
make an xTalk environment first and then make it compatible with
existing xTalk platforms, but maybe you don't even need to consider
what's legal, as long as you're not reverse engineering or copying.

Best,

Mark

--

Economy-x-Talk
Consultancy and Software Engineering

Download ErrorLib at http://economy-x-talk.com/developers.html and
get full control of error handling in Revolution.

Op 22-jul-2006, om 14:33 heeft Bill Marriott het volgende geschreven: