[ANN] www.krugle.com --- xtalk not a real language

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Jul 21 18:29:55 EDT 2006

Richmond Mathewson wrote:

> now we all know that the MetaCard IDE is open source
>
> we all know that the Engine that drives both MC and RR is proprietary
>
> so where does that leave xTalk / MetaTalk / Transcript ???

This isn't all that mysterious, any more than it was last time you asked:
<http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/metacard/2006-January/008941.html>

I'm not sure why this gets forgotten, but please keep a bookmark to this
post should this ever mystify again in the future:

IDEs are just a collection of stacks, not much different from images
created with Photoshop or other documents created with other applications.

Just as anyone can distribute images under the Creative Commons or other
license which were created with proprietary tools like Photoshop, one
can license their Rev stacks however they like as well.

There are many IDEs, some open source and some proprietary, and all of
them benefit Rev in that each requires a Rev license to be used.

If we step back and look at the bigger picture, this is not much
different than those who publish open source executables like Firefox
which run on proprietary operating systems like OS X and Windows.

So as the inventor of the engine, Scott Raney, used to say, "Let a
thousand flowers bloom...."

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal