Well, I didn't keep my promise, but . . .

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 20 15:02:31 EDT 2006

I'm sorry, I promised my next message would be about a prototype side-scrolling game.

Its not.

For 2 reasons:

1. Got bogged down making demo programs for the RR student I have just had for a month's course. Never mind, discovered I could do all sorts of things I thougth I couldn't - nothing to make an old fart work as a 15 year-old breathing down your neck!

2. Came to the conclusion that to make "THE RIVAL TO MYST" (aka, the Holy Grail) all one needs is:

a. loads of mouseEnters of the sort:

  on mouseEnter
   put the left of img "ZZZ" into LZ
   move img "ZZZ" to (LZ - 15)
end mouseEnter

b. some groovy animated gifs with them set to play once when clicked on (avoids dependence on QT)

c. (and this is where I collapse) some VERY TALENTED artists.

So, just to prove I am NOT the lost brother of Rand and Robyn, I have uploaded a
proof-of-concept Graphic-Converter to the RRGraphics Yahoo Group - OK, it really
is for newbies; although I did have a quick, quiet ego-buzz when I managed the
BATCH button.

Go get it, Rip it apart, Make it better:

I have also uploaded a really silly "Virtual Die" to the Rantings Group - made it just to illustrate the use of RANDOM:

I will now try to set aside some time to work on 'that game'

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson

"Philosophical problems are confusions arising owing to the fluidity of meanings users attach to words and phrases."
                                       Mathewson, 2006