player result codes?

Phil Davis revdev at pdslabs.net
Wed Jul 19 18:22:56 EDT 2006

Your theory sounds entirely plausible to me, Scott.

In my experience, 'start player' used to return empty until something changed,
and now I get a 2-digit number most of the time. And I often get the same number
a couple of times in a row, even if I change the player filename. Go figger.

FWIW, I decided my client's software doesn't need to do that test after all.
:o)  It's almost impossible to buy an off-the-shelf machine that doesn't do
sound. Plus, I'm not really sure what the returned value tells you - my original
assumption was that the player would return a non-empty value if the 'start
player' command didn't finish successfully. I guess I'll prove/disprove that one
and call it good.

Thanks guys. What a community!

Phil Davis