the long name of me OR the long ID of me?

Phil Davis revdev at pdslabs.net
Tue Jul 18 20:45:40 EDT 2006

Hi Josh,

Most of the time I do this:

  put the long ID of btn "thing" of stack "main" into tTargetButton

... so later I can do this:

  set the hilite of tTargetButton to true
  set text of tTargetButton to tSomeMenuItems
  etc.

That's my preferred method, because it improves script
clarity/readability and target precision while reducing mental overhead.

I generally use the long ID because the ID is always unique, where names
may not be.

Phil Davis