the long name of me OR the long ID of me?

Josh Mellicker josh at dvcreators.net
Tue Jul 18 19:46:55 EDT 2006

To easily identify a specific control on a card in a stack, what
method do you use?

I have been trying several, and am getting intermittent bugs...

---

method 1: set the calSender of stack "greenbongo" to the long name of me

or

method 2: set the calSender of stack "greenbongo" to the long ID of me

then, in scripts:

send "datePicked" to btn the calSender of stack "greenbongo"

or

         put the calSender of stack "greenbongo" into tSender
         send datePicked to tSender

or

         put the calSender of stack "greenbongo" into tSender
         send datePicked to btn tSender

This usually works but bothers me because the custom property
actually starts with the word "button", so I am saying "btn button..."

---

method 3:

function tPlayer
  return the long ID of Player "video" of cd "this" of stack "that"
end tPlayer

then, in scripts:

set the filename of tPlayer() to "blahblah.mov"

This works sometimes, but seems not to work other times.

Sometimes I resort to the full "pathname" but this makes scripts
dense and cluttered.

Thanks for clearing up this foggy area for me!