DreamHost In-Depth (was Re: Dreamhost?)

Dan Shafer revolutionary.dan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 13:16:16 EDT 2006

In general, I love Dreamhost. I recommend it. But I will say that when I
compare notes with my colleagues who are on other plans (granted, for the
most part more expensive plans) their reports of downtime are significantly
less than mine. Just check out http://www.dreamhostsupport.com for the past
few days and see the kinds of nightmares at least most Dreamhost users have
had to put up with.

Now i'm well aware of the fact that a lot of this is or seems to be outside
the control of the hosting service. But when they have repeated equipment
failures and breakdowns, I want to ask: (1) are they investing in quality
hardware or cutting corners; (2) are they placing max load on servers in an
effort to make their low pricing profitable rather than leaving some margin
for error; (3) is their tech staff up to the job of monitoring hardware for
potential failures before they happen?

I don't know the answers, but those seem to me to be legit questions. I've
asked them. I get repeated assurances that they know what they're doing. But
even though that seems to be true most of the time, it is questionable often
enough to make me a little guarded at the moment about touting them too
loudly.