Game Developers -- Call

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Sun Jul 16 05:39:34 EDT 2006

Aloha, Chipp:

Thanks for the encouragement. I appreciate the positive attitude.

We have negotiated  contracts with magazine distributors in 8 countries,
have correspondents working for Hinduism Today in about 16 countries,
one full time, get photos for the magazine for Hinduism Today from the
likes of photographic giants  like Thomas Kelly, have  running
contracts  with 4 artists,   and get books printed in Ukraine Trinidad,
Malaysia, India... so, yes, we do have  just a little history in working
out win-win relationships.. everyone of these situations is a happy one
for both sides. Right, it's all about scale.

I do think we need to dial back on expectations for  giant fantasy style
gaming QTVR and over the top animation  and find a simpler path.

We can close this thread now. I have some good positive input from
everyone.  Obviously we now need to do our homework  in terms of coming
up with a solid functional specification for the game we want, and then
hammer out a business plan based on that scope and see what we can do
with a small team of 1 + our graphics input  or a small  team of 2-3.
Buy when I read about Electronic Arts 3 Billion in revenues and
complaints  about their sweat shops, its a bit scary. Way out  of our
league. I think we will need to have some kind of royalty scheme. Our
market is niche for sure, but if the  developers  got $XX.00 for each
game sold and  we sold 5,000 copies in a year, that might be enough to
make it attractive.

It's all rather vague at the moment,  but all the input has been  very
valuable.  We really don't see this engine getting started till early
2007, so, until then. Thanks

It's also about a lot more  than  money (though of course any developer
has to put food on his plate  and $ into his kid's higher  education
fund....)  As someone  wrote me off line:

"I just read the Karma management document and I must say I fervently
wish the blazing success of your project! I feel that the the
shoot-kill-maim ethos that apparently dominates the game sphere
desperately needs a counter."

Best  wishes from fabulously beautiful Kauai.

Sivakatirswami