alternative ways to make projects come true (was Re: Game Developers -- Call)

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Sun Jul 16 00:18:52 EDT 2006

Rick at al,

much been said on this topic and the positive side is that although
we all have our own views of things, we can actually work together.
One thing that Rick said that caught my attention is that some of us
have projects that could use more help, that sometimes, that nice
project just need a pair of extra hands. We don't always have the
means to pay the market value of the coding hours needed, others
would also be keen on donating time if there was even the tinyiest
money amount in it (people might code a routine for 10 USD in 10
minutes but not do it for free). I am now changing this topic so that
we might discuss alternative ways to make projects reach the real world.

What do people here think of bounties? Bounties are for example
integral parts os Haiku OS, Amiga OS and Morph OS development. Some
may say that those are toy hobby operating system, but hey, there are
users and coders there and the bountie system creates a kind of micro
economy system that enables them to move forward. MorphOS network
stack was done by bountie. The way bounties usually works is, some
one set a "fund" for a given bounty saying what is the task and who
will be eligible to collect such bounty and what are the terms. Then
people who need or like that bounty pour money on it. When someone
complete the bounty, it receives the money. Most used system for the
money transfers is PayPal. For example in Amiga OS there's the
AmiZilla bounty which will be given to the first one to build a
firefox stable version for that OS (or KHTML based), the bounty is
now with 3 thousand USD. We know that bounties might not be the
market price, but someone might just be needing the money.

It's like bugzilla, but with some money, when it is completed, the
winner receives it. Some people here might be wanting a SOAP library
but they cannot write themselves and cannot hire a full time coder to
build it, but they might gather a group, each pour couple bucks and
they say that the first SOAP transcript based lib will win the bounty
and that the code will be released to all in a BSD license. The whole
community benefits, the group that needed it is benefited by actually
having it available and the coder that received the bucks will also
be happy.

As Rick said, this can drive the pay of the programmer down since
there will always be someone willing to do it for a lower price but
this might also be the only way to achieve some projects since not
every coder out there can work for free. For example, you're an
inventive user or someone that is not very network or xml savvy but
you just want to use Amazon S3 from your project, you cannot build it
yourself as fast as you'd want but you decided that such tool is
worth don't know maybe $45, you might share those needs with other
users and that amount could get higher... it would take less than a
day for an experienced coder to implement the Amazon S3 service, he
could end up winning your $45 for a couple hours work, this is
probably not his prime sallary rate but how is that for a saturday
morning work... If you live in Brazil where $45 == $100 of my money,
then this even more attractive.

What would be other options besides bounty. I am just trying to move
this topic onto a different conversation...

Cheers
andre