AppleScript Question

Garrett Hylltun garrett at paraboliclogic.com
Fri Jul 14 18:55:41 EDT 2006

On Jul 14, 2006, at 3:03 PM, Sarah Reichelt wrote:

>> I'm trying to get the Dictionary.app to cooperate with my project,

[snip]

>> Safari hidden, send the data to it without it getting http:// stuffed
>> in front of it?
>
> There is an AppleScript scripting addition called XSpell that provides
> AppleScript commands for checking spelling but that doesn't help if
> you want the definitions.

Actually, I do want the dictionary app to open.  My program is
intended to be like a compliment to the dictionary app.  That and I
figure why try to reinvent the wheel.

> I would check out the Dictionary Dashboard widget (open the widget's
> package and browse through the files there). You may find it uses
> shell commands or something that you can modify for your purposes.

Ummm..... Ok, don't laugh at me, but I don't use Dashboard and have
it disabled.  So I don't know much about that.  Where would I find
the widgets for dashboard?  :-(

> Alternatively, what happens if instead of revGoURL, you use load URL
> "dict:///...."? If you can get the data directly that way, it would
> probably be the best solution.

I haven't tried that, but just for the fun of it will try it.  As
noted above, I really don't want to mess with the data at all.

My next task will be to try and figure out how to get Dictionary.app
to send a word to my program.  Probably not possible though.

> Cheers,
> Sarah

Thank you Sarah :-)
-Garrett