Internal security of Rev?

Mark Talluto userev at canelasoftware.com
Fri Jul 14 18:20:23 EDT 2006

On Jul 12, 2006, at 8:57 PM   Jul 12, 2006, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Mark Talluto wrote:
>
>> If you market your products through a distributor, copy protection
>> is  invaluable if they have rights to duplicate/install the software.
>
> Aside from hardware dongles, what devices/methods can prevent copying?

The trick is not to focus on copying, but to focus on disarming
features.  Lets keep in mind the old saying that nothing is 100%
safe.  Lets also keep in mind that spending a lot of time on
protection is a waste of time.  Now that that is out of the way, we
must also remember that no protection is also bad.  My simple key
system has kept my distributors honest on more than one occasion.
Errors can be made on how many products were sold once in a while and
having the software rely on a key really makes handling issues like
that quite easy.

I rely on generating a unique key based on the mac address.  Only my
company can generate the keys.  Our distributors install the software
on minis ahead of time.  They get their keys from us directly and the
units are ready for sale.  I do not need any info on the customer and
do not need to worry about returned units being sold to another
customer down the road.  This model does not work for everyone, but
it could be modified to work with general apps if the key system ran
over the internet and was embedded in the software.

The effort took about 4 days to perfect and has been serving me for
over 3 years.

Mark Talluto
--
CANELA Software