Dependence on Programming Experts

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Fri Jul 14 11:23:10 EDT 2006

Hi All,

As Judy noted, we all understand what is being proposed.  What is
less obvious is why it is being proposed.

* Because it takes less keystrokes to type "x=5" compared to "put 5 into x"?

If so, I'm sure I can find many other examples of syntax from other
languages that is less verbose than Revolution [now where is my old
Code Warrior manual?].  Or perhaps I could makeup a new syntax, maybe
using characters from the Greek alphabet, that is shorter still.  Now
there's a fun project: try to devise a syntax that is briefer and
more succinct than C. And when we've done it and there is a briefer,
more cryptic syntax for every verbose Revolution construct will the
language be easier to learn and more productive to use?  I think not.

Has anyone supporting this on the basis of brevity stopped to
consider the irony that one can script the same functionality in
"verbose" Revolution in significantly fewer lines than it takes using
"succinct" C?   So you want the productivity (and maintainability) of
Revolution AND the brevity of C?   To quote Bob Seeger's
"Beautiful  Looser", "You just can't have it all."

* Because the syntax is used in other popular programming languages?

News flash to Lynn Fredricks:  the way for Runtime Revolution to
differentiate itself from competitors and attract developers from
other platforms is to adopt the syntax of its most successful
competitors.   NOT!

Why stop at "x=5"?  How about everyone contributes his favorite
syntax from another language and we bundle them all in the next
release of Revolution?  Got to be the power-programmer's ultimate
platform, right?  WRONG!

* Because you like "x=5" better than "put 5 into x"?

  Use Brian Yennie's script or write your own compiler,

And thank you, Brian, for  demonstrating that revolutionist thinking
can find a way of doing things better than the establishing does it,

Vive Revolution!

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company