Internal security of Rev?

Wouter wouter.abraham at scarlet.be
Fri Jul 14 08:08:33 EDT 2006

On 14 Jul 2006, at 09:25, Kay C Lan wrote:

- snip -

> In the last financial year it was noted that the revenue figures were
> up, better than expected. After a little analysis of the number the
> reason revealed itself. Although 'users' had occasionally lost their
> parallel dongles,  the USB dongles proved at lot easier to loose!
>
> As my brother would say to some poor sap who would be trying to get a
> new dongle without paying for a whole new license fee would say: "Go
> into Harry Winston's and tell them your wife lost her $80,000 diamond
> ring and that you'd like a free replacement"

As for giving a reason to someone to crack your software, this is an
excellent one.
It resembles (or rather is) software hijacking.
I'm sure there are ways to identify people who lost their dongle
(for example: traces of banking in the act of the legal acquisition
of the software),
instead of forcing them to pay again for the software and a new
dongle combo.
And to complete the above comparison, I also would not buy a $80,000
diamond if a dongle was needed for wearing it in the first place.

Greetings,
Wouter