Dependence on Programming Experts

Judy Perry jperryl at ecs.fullerton.edu
Fri Jul 14 01:23:25 EDT 2006

Because it makes it harder to learn.  Like English.  I don't know what
that has to do with 'the establishment,' but it just makes things harder
to learn.

It's not that I don't understand how much easier it would make things for
folks familiar with other languages.  I do.  BUT...

(1) It still makes the language harder to learn;

(2) With Lingo history as an example, positively THE WORST option becomes
defacto learning  "standard';

(3) It opens the Pandora's Box to incorporating, mish-mash style, EVERY
weird little favored syntactic element from EVERY other language which,
well, see (1) above.

(4) IF (some) people want to use the least intuitive,
SOOO NOT natural-language-like syntaxes on the planet, by all means,
please use them IN THOSE OTHER LANGUAGES!

And, again, it's not that I don't get x = 5 (or whatever).  But pretty
soon we'll be looking at the most "modern" version of Lingo and it's
not pretty.  Or learnable by normal humans.

Judy