fstab

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Thu Jul 13 19:15:49 EDT 2006

Chris-

Thursday, July 13, 2006, 8:36:04 AM, you wrote:

> /etc/mtab is created on boot and is modified by the system "on the run".
> It includes the mounted devices for the file system.  fd0 should appear
> there when a floppy disk is mounted.

> fstab is a fixed file, created on installation that includes mountable
> devices and their mount points.  I cannot mount a floppy without a valid
> entry for the floppy drive in fstab.

That's my understanding of this as well. I guess when I boot into
recovery mode there's a different fstab somewhere that doesn't allow
access to the floppy for some reason, but I haven't yet found out
where that fstab lives.

...and I believe I read that you *can* mount a drive not in fstab, but
don't have the time right now to go look that up...

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net