Dependence on Programming Experts

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Thu Jul 13 16:25:04 EDT 2006

Rob Cozens wrote:

> Alex & Moi:
>
>>> I don't see what would break existing syntax.
>>

>> The example I gave, which demonstrates techniques in many of my
>> existing stacks.
>

> Sorry,now I've lost focus.

Yeah, it's been a long thread :-)
Not helped by me saying "container" when I should have said "property" -
sorry about that.

> The proposal to have the Rev engine interpret "x=5" to mean "put 5
> into x" instead of its current interpertation, "does x equal 5?" would
> break existing syntax.

No, it wouldn't.

Current syntax (such as your example from SDB) uses an 'equality'
expression in the context where an expression is required.
The (proposed) syntax uses a (perhaps identical set of characters) as a
statement where a statement is required.

There is no existing case (AFAIK) where *either* a boolean expression
and a statement could appear, and hence there is no ambiguous case -
anywhere that set of characters can appear can be *at most* one of an
expression or a statement..

If there was any context where either could appear, there would be an
ambiguity - but there isn't.