fstab

Chris Kassopulo ckasso at sprynet.com
Thu Jul 13 11:36:04 EDT 2006

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 13:53:33 -0300, Bob Warren wrote:

> But as I said, in my Ubuntu Breezy (also up to date), the /dev/fd0 wasn't
> appearing at all in the fstab (even after mounting and reading the floppy
> successfully)! [However, the mounted floppy did appear in the mtab file,
> but I have no idea what that is for.] I was logged in as a normal user,
> not as "root" (which is non-standard and normally not necessary in Ubuntu
> anyway).
>
> Personally, I don't know what the hell is going on. Anyway, I have
> acquired a new machine for Linux today, so perhaps I'll install Ubuntu in
> it and see what appears/doesn't appear in the fstab. I'll let you know.

Hi Bob,

That sounds backwards.

/etc/mtab is created on boot and is modified by the system "on the run".
It includes the mounted devices for the file system.  fd0 should appear
there when a floppy disk is mounted.

fstab is a fixed file, created on installation that includes mountable
devices and their mount points.  I cannot mount a floppy without a valid
entry for the floppy drive in fstab.

>From my fstab on Ubuntu Breezy:
/dev/fd0   /media/floppy0  auto rw,user,noauto  0  0

Chris