Dependence on Programming Experts

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Thu Jul 13 10:26:38 EDT 2006

Richard, et al:

>The proposed assignment OPTION is consistent with several dozen
>languages, many of which are still actively growing a strong rate,
>as opposed to Pascal which is the only one which uses Pascal-style
>assignment and is in rapid decline today.

The proposed OPTION would eliminate my current OPTION to replace code like:

         if recordNumber = 1 then set the disabled of button
"Previous Record" to false
         else  set the disabled of button "Previous Record" to true
         if recordNumber = recordCount then set the disabled of
button "Next Record" to false
         else  set the disabled of button "Next Record" to true

with

         set the disabled of button "Previous Record" to (recordNumber = 1)
         set the disabled of button "Next Record" to (recordNumber =
recordCount)

and break every script where I use this structure.

I can't believe you find the need for this OPTION so great that you
would advocate breaking existing syntax.

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company