Dependence on Programming Experts

Dan Shafer revolutionary.dan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 01:53:16 EDT 2006

As long as we're OT and having fun....

As recently as four years ago, I saw a study that said there were still more
lines of COBOL code in active use in the U.S. than all other languages
combined. (Mind you, that could be one government procurement program, but
still....)

And a friend of mine who's a software auditor for a DoD agency says a HUGE
percentage of the Ada code they have actually consists of a very few lines
of Ada that call a C program. The government required Ada to be used but
made an exception for cases where an existing C program was already tested
and in place. One of the best recipes for avoiding innovation anyone's ever
seen.