Dependence on Programming Experts

Judy Perry jperryl at ecs.fullerton.edu
Thu Jul 13 01:06:19 EDT 2006

Unfortunately, learning it as a first programming language wasn't among
them as virtually every 'teach yourself Lingo/Director' book on the market
was hopelessly mired in dot.syntax and, IIRC, so was Macromedia's own
documentation.

Since we're all having fun repeating ourselves (hey -- if we really want
concise language, we could just use pointers to our previous posts on the
subject, no?)   ;-)   ...  <-- not directed at anyone in particular...

there were 24 cohorts in our first MS in instructional design and
technology program; 2 dropped out, leaving 22; of those 22, I believe only
TWO produced a final thesis-project using Director; the remainder
used FrontPage (except for me, and I used Rev).  Of the 2 Director users,
at least 1 will never touch it again inasmuch as she didn't really use it,
either, trading work for work as she did the writing/proof-reading for the
sole Director enthusiast for his doing her development work.

It kinda reminds me of comments I hear from persons learning English as a
second language -- that it's extraordinarily difficult even for those
individuals who are  multi-lingual because English mixes so many different
'styles' and grammar/exceptions,  ways of doing things, etc.

Judy