Rre: Dependence on Programming Experts

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Wed Jul 12 21:44:50 EDT 2006

On 7/12/06, Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:

> The MC IDE, Constellation, FreeGUI, and any other IDEs differ from the
> various Linux distros in that these IDEs do not claim to be a whole
> product.  On the contrary, these are all clearly optional add-ons, and
> wherever any other IDE can be found there are references and direct
> links back to the mother ship -- all roads lead to RunRev.
>
> In contrast, each new Linux distro is presented as a whole product,
> without references reinforcing a centralized main product.  So for
> end-users, there is no "Linux" per se, but instead a dizzying array of
> dozens of competing products all claiming to be "Linux", requiring that
> the end-user study them to make a choice that's most effective for them.

Perhaps you are correct. But consider all Linux distros are based on
the same 'kernel' or 'engine', just like all Rev IDE's are based on
the same 'engine.' Furthermore, I would definitely say that Jerry
believes Constellation and Galaxy to be 'products' in themselves, and
that KDE and Gnome can be considered 'optional add-ons' for the basic
Linux kernel. And while you and I are pretty sure what Constellation,
MC IDE, devolution, Galaxy, Rev Media, Rev Express, Dreamcard all are,
I would imagine these do constitute a 'dizzying array of competing
products' for first time users.

IOW, there is much gray area there, at least in my mind. I personally
think it's a good thing Linux encourages multiple 'add-ons', IDE's and
GUI's-- just like I think it's a good thing the Rev engine supports
multiple 'add-ons', IDE's and GUI's.