Dependence on Programming Experts

Viktoras Didziulis viktoras at ekoinf.net
Wed Jul 12 17:38:02 EDT 2006

No wonder we are thinking that way! We have been taught mathematics since
the first grade at shool :-) and all think about 3=2+1 or 1+2=3 but not put
2 add 1 into 3... Later (grade 3, I think) we have been taught a bit about
equations. So at the age of 9 most of us would have easily solved this:
Solve: y=x*2
Given: x=10
---------------
Answer: y=20

Then at higher grades we vere using definition of a mathematical function
and drawing graphs from its output on XY plane...
This is a natural option any programming language must support at least
optionaly. I do not believe people that write software have totaly forgotten
or hated mathematics so, that now are insisting to use non-mathematical or
linguistic notations when in mathematics there is a very clear standard.
Using put is a very intuitive way to handle object related stuff in an
OO-like manner - and I like it much until it comes to mathematics...

All the best :-)
Viktoras

--snip---
Not being able to use the equal sign to assign a value to variable
struck me as odd. Not so much because that's the way we do it in VBA,
but because I firmly believe that's the way I think. option.
---snip---
Joe Miller

preferences: