Dependence on Programming Experts

jbv jbv.silences at club-internet.fr
Wed Jul 12 05:50:03 EDT 2006

Hi guys,

Regarding programing languages, there's a fact that I've already
mentioned a couple of times on this list (almost every time this
syntax topic arises) : in the 80's some studies in psychology &
ergonomics have shown that newbies and experienced programers
memorize algorithms in 2 different ways :
- newbies tend to memorize algos in a specific language (usually
the one used for writing the code)
- experienced programers memorize the algo itself, out of any
specific language...

so, this is probably a clue to provide a programing language as
close as possible to natural language for newbies, so that they
can focus on the task of learning programing and not need bother
getting used to a non-natural syntax at the same time...

As an experienced programer (since 1978, having used dozens
of languages), I must confess that assembler is my favorite
language (for the code efficiency), but when it comes to building
high-level apps, xTalk is my favorite for its readability...
For the same reason, I'm not a big fan of js, and I hate PHP...

Now, how do experienced mathematicians memorize complex
math algos ? Perhaps the answer to that question will determine
if a language close to math notation is suitable for them...

There's a basic principle in ergonomics : adapt tools to human
task, not the other way around...

JB